Super stylish and beyond affordable I give you the place mat clutch! This idea came about because I wanted a clutch but not just any clutch a specific clutch and since I couldn’t find what I wanted I decided to make it.
What you need:
- a place mat
- a button
- a snap fastener
Approx. Cost: $6.00
What I did:
- I found a place mat that was faux leather and had a nice design this is were you can be super creative and you can find place mats any and everywhere for a couple of bucks.
- I used fabric remnants from Hobby Lobby and I also got the snap fastener from Hobby Lobby I used my 40% off coupon! Make sure you get a fastener with prongs.
- I decided a I wanted an envelope style clutch so I used the fabric as the flap of the clutch and just folded it and secured it in the desired shape.
- I folded the place mat in half and sewed the sides, I attached the flap at the top.
- The snap fastener is two pieces one goes on top and the other in the bottom. Punch the prongs through the place mat and fold them over and do the same with the top piece. Punch it through the flap and fold the prongs over.
- To hide the prongs from the fastener I attached a button on the top of the flap.
- You can get very creative with a project like this. Use all kinds of buttons, fabrics, different place mats, add studs and beading! Just have fun!